Friday, July 29, 2011

Flowers in the Attic: A Barometer for The Moral Degradation of Society



Truly, when I was very young, way back in the 80s, I believed all of life would be like one long and perfect summer day. After all, it did start out that way...Ooops, a bit of plagiarizing from my favorite guilty pleasure, Flowers In the Attic.  Yes, that's right.  You can start making fun, but it's really nostalgic when I reread this literary *ahem* gem.  I can't help remembering the first time I read it, stuck in the back seat of my folks' car on a drive to the beach, devouring every page in disbelief, not knowing that there existed in this world books I may like that weren't set in Sweet Valley.  But at least this book had characters who were also blond and perfect, and it even had twins, too.  There was just the little parts about devil's spawn, incest, and being locked in some attic that kind of changed it up a bit from the usual Jessica and Elizabeth shenanigans.

This book, when I was growing up, was sort of the gateway drug for every young girl into the smutty novels that were to become par for the course during summer vacations.  Almost every girl I knew somehow found in her hands, during her 7th grade year, a worn, dog-eared copy of Flowers in the Attic, given to her with hushed instructions to not let her parents know what the book was about.  And so, for many girls like me, it was our first example of sex, albeit between Cathy and her brother, Chris (ewwww!  No, make that EWWWWWW!!).  I wasn't allowed to watch R-rated movies, so I hadn't even seen a sex scene at this point.  All I knew about sex was what other kids told me, and the lame stuff we learned about when they told us about our periods at school (which, in turn, I really first learned about from Are You There God?  It's Me, Margaret).

For those of you not in the know, the book is about a family of four Hitler's Dream Children blond, perfect, beautiful kids whose idyllic life is suddenly thrown for a loop when their beloved blond, handsome, daddy dies in a car accident.  Aww heck, I'm too lazy to write it all out...here's what Amazon says:

After a tragic accident leaves them fatherless, four children return to their mother's mysterious family mansion hoping for an inheritance. But when they are imprisoned and abandoned by their evil grandmother, the children must survive a nightmare of brutal cruelty, forbidden passion and a final shocking discovery that will shatter their innocence forever.


The four kids, all haunted and locked up and stuff
 In the title of this post I said that Flowers in the Attic is actually a barometer of sorts that measures the moral degradation of society.  It's true.  I mentioned earlier that when I was a kid, we hid the book from our parents, or at least hid what it was about.  It was something that made it all the more great because it was taboo.  But now we are in an era where taboos are a thing of the past and anything goes, and I found this out at the library one day.  Back when I was young, you had to go into the "horror" section of the library (it even had the little skull sticker on the spine of the book) to find Flowers, even though it was mostly read by young girls in their early teens.  But someone knew that it had sex, abuse, torture, and incest in it, so it would just be wrong to put it anywhere else.  Today?  Not so much.  It's there, smack-dab in the middle of the Young Adult section now!   Yikes!! Good golly day*, is NOTHING sacred anymore?
 
Oh, but it get even better.  If you look at the top of this post, you'll see the original book cover to Flowers.  Now check out the newest cover:
 
 
Yeah, that's right.  They don't even pretend that Cathy and Chris don't hook-up.  But not only that, they make the cover look like some teen romance!!  At least in the book the hook-up is shameful to the kids, they feel sick about it.  But this cover!!  THIS COVER makes it look like incest between siblings is just another sweet teen aged right-of-passage.  It's Rome all over again, I tell you!
 
I really feel bad for kids these days.  No longer are they given the wonderful taste of taboos.  That was one of my favorite things about adolescence...getting to get away with things my parents knew weren't healthy or good for me.  Now, not so much, as Flowers in the Attic has inadvertently shown us.  I for one plan to put up some boundaries with my kids, if just so they can have the fun of knocking them down, just a little.
 
*Cathy's favorite saying in the book, to show she's a kid of the 50s

4 comments:

  1. OMG the cover--what?! I am seriously grossed out by that. I'm hoping that that was some sort of marketing error. From looking at it, I would pick the book up assuming it's some sort of mansion mystery with a little romance with the boy from the wrong side of the tracks on the side.

    I will say that YA is still full of more innocent books. Anything by Sarah Dessen. The Hunger Games. Harry Potter is still super popular. Not everything is all Flowers in the Attic. But it's probably not uncommon, shudder. That would have been something my mom would have marched up to the librarian and complained about back in the day! Hahah. Maybe we should do that???

    I totally remember hiding books from my parents! You're so right that it was a rite of passage thrill. And it did put whatever we were reading in perspective. My thing was getting cheap Harlequins on the sly from the library bookstore for $.25 and then secretly devouring them! LOL My mom finally found one and I got a lecture like "why would ANYONE want to read what happens between a man and a woman??" like it was so shameful. I'm not going to get mad about it though--the world needs balance, and if my old-fashioned parents were that balance, then so be it! And they never could stop the tide of romance novels for me, but at least I had a healthy perspective that I should have a line somewhere, and I definitely do.

    Sneaking books under our parents' noses: good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this book shouldn't be in the YA section simply because it is so awful, it can't compare to the great stuff like HP, etc. Hahahaha! Can you imagine if your mom found you reading this book? Not only was it "what happens between a man and woman", but they were related! OMG!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your blog Erz. I enjoy reading your opinions. I had to laugh about the Sweet Valley Twins. I just loved those books when I was 9-10 yrs old. And that included the Highs school years. I never read Flowers in the Attic as a preteen. Didn't even know it existed. I did watch the movie when I was a teen though. It diffidently shocked me. By the time I was a preteen I was reading my mom's romance novels and I didn't hide it from her either. She didn't seem to mind that I read those books.
    I agree with your cousin about the new cover. The old cover had an aura of darkness to it, cause the book is dark. But the new cover is all light and airy. I can't imagine the surprise young ladies/men will have when they realize how dark and twisted the story really is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the Sweet Valley books were just it for girls of our generation! The new cover is totally gross. I mean, who thought that was a good idea? Oh right, people out to make money, that's who.

    ReplyDelete